Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 51 § 15 require that there shall be in every city or town, other than one having a board of election commissioners or an election commission, a Board of Registrars of Voters.
Responsibilities of the Board of Registrars include:
- Accepting and certifying nomination papers
- Certifying initiative or referendum petitions
- Conducting elections and recounts as necessary in a fair and impartial manner
- Maintaining accurate lists of registered voters in the town
- Maintenance and testing of voting equipment
- Processing absentee voter applications
- Processing address and party changes
- Tallying election results
- Voter registration
The Board of Registrars of Voters consists of three (3) persons appointed by the Mayor with the fourth member of the Board being the appointed City Clerk.
As nearly as possible, the members of the board shall represent the two leading political parties. The City Clerk need not be enrolled in a political party.
The Board of Registrars of Voters is also responsible for the collection, enumeration, and publication of the Annual Street List of the City of Framingham.