The Framingham City Clerk’s office provides FREE Notary Public services to our Framingham residents (proof of residence is required). The notarial cost for non-Framingham residents is $1.25 per signature.
Per MGL Ch. 222, documents for a real estate closing must be notarized by a Notary Public in an attorney’s office; the Framingham City Clerk's Office will not notarize any real estate closing documents.
The document and signer must conform to the following requirements:
* Notary Public Services are available during the regular business hours. *Subject to change during election season.
* Notary Service is not available for deeds, mortgages, or incomplete documents.
* A valid, unexpired government-issued photo identification is required for every request for notarization.
* The signature field on the document must be blank if the signature is to be witnessed/attested by the Notary Public.
* All individuals who will sign the document must be present at the time of notarizing.
* If a separate witness to the signing is required, the person requesting the notarization must provide the witness; members of the office staff will not serve as a witness. The required witness must be present at the time of signing and must also provide valid, unexpired, government-issued photo identification.
* The document must contain the appropriate Massachusetts Notarial Statement or Clause:
SAMPLE MASSACHUSETTS NOTARIAL STATEMENT
On this ____day of _____________________, before me, the undersigned notary public, personally appeared _______________________________________ proved to me through satisfactory evidence of identification, which were ______________________________, to be the person whose name is signed on the preceding or attached document and acknowledged to me that he signed it voluntarily for its stated purpose.
Notary Public Signature
My Commission expires _____________________
* Massachusetts laws require that a Notary Public and the person seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with one other, not through a third party. Only documents written in English will be notarized by the Framingham City Clerk serving as Notary Public.
* Certain documents cannot be copied and notarized. Some examples of these are birth, marriage and death certificates.
* In accordance with Massachusetts Notarial Law, MGL ch. 222, a Notary Public will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty. In this event, the Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Services.