EXECUTIVE ORDER OF MAYOR CHARLIE SISITSKY
Order #2023-003 Establishment of the Framingham School Building Committee
WHEREAS, Hemenway Elementary School was built in 1961, has had minimal investment since it was built. The building systems require significant investment to maintain the necessary functions; and
WHEREAS, the existing facility is insufficient for the enrollment and curriculum of the Framingham Public Schools, and the existing building’s scale and orientation of spaces are outdated and unable to properly adapt to the needs of contemporary educational service delivery; and
WHEREAS, the City of Framingham hired architects to perform a pre-feasibility study for the expansion or replacement of the existing Hemenway Elementary School. This pre-feasibility study delved into the existing building and site, and also expanded to looking at options for a new site; and
WHEREAS, the Massachusetts School Building Authority (“MSBA”), states that the municipality, “. . . shall formulate a school building committee for the purpose of generally monitoring the Application process and to advise the Eligible Applicant during the construction of an Approved Project.” And “The school building committee shall be formed in accordance with the provisions of the Eligible Applicant’s local charter and/or by-laws…”;
NOW THEREFORE, pursuant to the authority vested in me as chief executive officer of the City of Framingham by the Framingham Charter, and in accordance with 963 CMR 2.10(3)(b), I hereby order:
- The City of Framingham established a Framingham School Building Committee (“SBC”).
2. The SBC shall be comprised of the following members to be appointed by the respective appointing authority:
- Four members appointed by the Mayor, with approval by the City Council;
- Of which three members of the community will have architecture, engineering, and/or construction experience.
b.Three members of the School Committee, appointed by the School Committee;
c.Three members of the community appointed by the School Committee, with at least two members having students in the Framingham public schools, and at least one member who has knowledge of the educational mission and function of the facility; and
d.Three members of the City Council, including at least one member from the Finance Sub-Committee.
3. All members to be voting members.
4. The Mayor shall select a Chair and a Vice Chair.
5. The following City employees shall act in an advisory capacity to the Framingham School Building Committee, as per the MSBA outlined in 963 CMR 2.10(3)(b):
- The Mayor, or his designee;
- The Superintendent of Schools;
- The Framingham Public School District Director of Buildings & Grounds or his designee;
- The school principal of Hemenway School; and
- The CFO, or her designee.
You can find the signed version here Version Options Order #2023-003 Headline Version Options Order #2023-001 Headline.