The Main Street Cemetery can be found on Main St., just south of Route 9 near the Framingham Centre.
The Main Street Cemetery was constructed in 1698 and has acquired several names over the years. It has been called Church Hill Cemetery and also Old Burying Ground Cemetery.
According to a plaque placed on the front gate in the year 2000 by the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), there are “eighty-nine veterans of the Revolutionary War” interred within. One of these 89 is Peter Salem, a former slave, and a member of Framingham’s Minute Men militia.
Other notable names are Learned, Maynard, Belnap, Buckminister, and Nixon. There are two people interred who died before 1700 (so before Framingham was incorporated) and forty-eight between 1700 and 1749. Private William D. Hudson has a cenotaph in the Main Street Cemetery but is buried in the Gettysburg National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. He was killed in action on July 3, 1863.