The Assessors Department is primarily responsible for determining the full and fair cash value of all real and personal property within Framingham. Other duties of the Assessors Department include, but are not limited to:
- Administering motor vehicle excise tax
- Compile and submit the annual Tax Rate Revenue
- Abate / exempt / or defer taxes
- Defend established values on abatement applications and at Appellate Tax Board hearings
- Maintain tax assessment maps
- Oversee the city's overlay reserve account (an account established to fund abatement exemptions and unpaid taxes for the property or asset. This is known as ad valorem tax, or according to value tax.
It is important to note that Assessors do not raise or lower taxes, nor do the Assessors set the rate of taxation (tax rate). These determinations are made with the assistance of assessment values but are decisions made outside of the scope of the Assessing Department.
- Fiscal Year 2023 residential tax rate is $13.09 per thousand dollars of assessed value
- Fiscal Year 2023 commercial, industrial or personal property tax rate is $27.27