Earth Day 2020
BECOME MORE SUSTAINABLE
There a variety of ways to help our planet this Earth Day. To learn more about opportunities you can take advantage of to become more energy efficient, protect the environment, reduce waste, and save money in the process, take a look at the list of actions and resources below:
SPREAD THE MESSAGE
- Showcase Earth Day artwork - Kids, celebrate Earth Day with window artwork to spread awareness using the attached poster from the EPA or a creation of your own!
IMPROVE YOUR ENERGY SUSTAINABILITY
- Search for energy savings at home - take an online home energy assessment with Mass Save and conduct your own in-home energy assessment; start by checking around your home for lights and electronic devices that can be turned off when not in use!
- Adjust your thermostats – turning down your heating or air conditioning setpoints by a few degrees can make a big difference over time in energy and cost savings and help reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Learn about solar - Learn about how solar photovoltaic (PV) systems can work to produce electricity for your home with the MassCEC.
- Check your faucets and showerheads – even small leaks can contribute to large wastes of water and energy; check your faucets and showerheads to make sure they are completely off when not in use.
- Turn off your faucet when brushing – even a simple measure like turning off the faucet when brushing your teeth can have a big impact and help you save over 200 gallons of water per month if done consistently in the morning and at night!
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
- Learn the right way to recycle - check out the Waste Wizard to learn more about the proper way to recycle different types of items.
- Reduce plastic waste - wherever possible, try to cut out disposable plastics like bottles, straws, and bags to avoid them going into the waste stream.
- Think before you print – unless it is to sign, draw, or write, try to read documents on your computer as opposed to printing them out and use two-sided printing to minimize paper and ink use.
- Plant seeds from vegetables or fruits – whether in your backyard or in household pots with good access to sunlight, try growing plants from the seeds of fruits or vegetables like peppers or tomatoes as a great way to jump into gardening.