The seven-member Framingham Historical Commission (HC) was established by a vote of Town Meeting on April 1, 1969, pursuant to MGL Chapter 40, Section 8D. The HC's mission is to work alongside the Massachusetts Historical Commission to promote preservation, protection, and development of the City's historically and archaeologically important assets.
Specifically, its duties include:
Do You Have Other Questions About How the Historical Commission Works?
Historical Commission member, and City Historian, Fred Wallace gave a talk at the library in 2015 discussing the HC's duties.
Email Paul Silva
2nd Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Conference Room 1
150 Concord Street
Framingham, MA 01702
Hearing schedules can vary. Please confirm with City Clerk (508-532-5520) or check the Meeting Portal for Agendas and Minutes.
Since the 1970s, the HC has been identifying and researching Framingham's many historic assets which include not only buildings, but also objects and landscapes, such as statues, parks and fields. Together they comprise the Cultural Resource Inventory, which is a comprehensive listing of all the historic resources in Framingham. View the Cultural Resources Inventory (PDF).
At the 1991 Town Meeting, the Demolition Delay Bylaw (Article V, Section 21 (PDF)) was created. This Bylaw requires the HC to assess all buildings 75 years or older prior to issuance of a demolition permit.
If a building is included in the Cultural Resources Inventory, the HC can delay its demolition for one year.
If a building is not in the Cultural Resources Inventory, but the HC believes it is significant, the demolition can be delayed for 6 months.
A demolition delay is not intended to punish the owner, but rather it provides an opportunity for the HC to work with the owner to determine if the building can be saved.
A recent success story involves the 1812 House on Salem End Road, which Framingham State University opted to sensitively rehabilitate.