The Massachusetts burning season runs from January 15 - May 1 yearly. To obtain an Open Outdoor Burning Permit, please call 508-532-5942 on each day you wish to burn and leave your name, address and telephone number. The contact information left on the message will serve as your permit.
In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. Chapter 48, Section 13 and the provisions of 310 CMR 7.07, permission will be granted to set a fire for the purpose of disposing of brush, cane, driftwood and forestry debris on a parcel of land situated at your location.
Under all circumstances the following is also PROHIBITED by the DEP:
- Burning of brush, trees, cane and driftwood from commercial or industrial land clearing operations
- Stacking, placing or storing combustible materials such that DEP may presume it will be burned
All open burning must be conducted:
- On land closest to the source of the materials to be burned
- At a location greater than 75 feet from any dwelling
- Between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.---no fire shall be started past 12:00 noon
- During periods of good atmospheric ventilation
- Without causing a nuisance
Someone must be with the fire until it is fully extinguished.
There must be sufficient help present, including an available water supply, such as a pressurized water pump or hose, and shovels or rakes to control the fire.
The applicant must call the Fire Department each day for which the permit valid, to confirm that burning will be allowed that day.
As always, please remember to respect your surroundings and stay safe.